I believe there should be a rule that no Bride may choose a bridesmaid gown without first having tried it on herself.
I believe this with all my heart.
There is nothing worse than purchasing an expensive dress you not only hate but know you look terrible in.
So to all my brides, here are a few dresses we bridesmaids wish you would consider.
1. Sweetheart necklines are the most flattering on all figures. This loose flowy fabric conceals any…imperfections (read: fat rolls) your girls may not want exposed. PLUS look at all these colors! (Dessy Collection Style 2896. Find a local retailer here.)
2. This Monique Lhullier Tulle Trumpet Dress is by far one of my favorites of the season. How amazing would that skinny cousin of yours look in this dress? Don’t worry. You’ll still look better. (Monique Lhullier. $498.)
3. Another Dessy gown with the same model. I’m not going to lie to you right now. I’m going to be very serious. I love this dress. I am going to order this dress for myself. I have absolutely no where to wear it. But I want it. I want it hard. (Dessy Collection Style 2894. Find a local retailer here.)
4. I wore an Alfred Sung dress on my wedding day. It was perfectly made and I would recommend the designer to anyone. However, as much as I really love this bridesmaid dress, keep in mind that it is not the most flattering cut for big boobied girls. Nor would it be ideal for a larger or more mature group of ladies. BUT if you are young and your bridesmaids are some of those petite, trendy girls, this dress would be so sleek in a trendy color and slick hair. (Alfred Sung. Find a local retailer here.)
5. This lace and tulle sheath dress is ridiculously hot. Not as many colors to choose from but if you want your Bridesmaids to bring some sex appeal, here’s the dress for you. (Tadashi Shoji. $298.)
6. J.Crew has always been effortlessly stylish to me. This wrap dress makes me feel like any of your girls could pull this look off. (Mirabelle Dress. $265.)
You’ll probably notice I split the options between long and short dresses. The first time I had to purchase a long gown for a wedding I pissed and moaned for weeks. I could not figure out why my Bride would do that to us. Come the day of the wedding we all looked amazing. Not having to worry about if your dress made your thighs look big or if people were staring at your very uncomfortable shoes, were just a few less things to worry about.
In the end it is about what the Bride and Groom want. Do not let anyone talk you into something you do not want BUT keep in mind that your Bridesmaids will one day have you at their mercy and fond memories go a long way.